Skip Navigation or Skip to Content

When to Report $10,000+ Cash Transactions

In Fact Sheet 2020-11; IR 2020-168, the IRS has presented a series of examples where a person might have to file Form 8300, Report of Cash Payments Over $10,000 Received in a Trade or Business.

Generally, any person in a trade or business who receives more than $10,000 in cash in a single transaction or in related transactions must file a Form 8300, Report of Cash Payments Over $10,000 Received in a Trade or Business. A “person” is an individual, company, corporation, partnership, association, trust, or estate.

A person must file Form 8300 if they receive cash of more than $10,000 from the same payer or agent:

  • in one lump sum;
  • in two or more related payments within 24 hours, (e.g., a 24-hour period is 11 a.m. Tues-day to 11 a.m. Wednesday); or
  • as part of a single transaction or two or more related transactions within a 12-month period.

Reporting Situation Examples

The Fact Sheet contains the following examples of reporting situations:

  • New or used automobile dealers – If a husband and wife purchased two vehicles at one time from the same dealer, and the dealer received a total of $10,200 in cash, the dealer can view the transaction as a single transaction or two related transactions. Either way, the dealer needs to file only one Form 8300. But the dealership does not file Form 8300 if a customer pays with a $7,000 wire transfer and a $4,000 cashier check. A wire transfer is not considered cash.
  • Suppose a customer purchases a vehicle for $9,000 cash – Within 12 months, the customer pays the dealership cash of $1,500 for accessories for that vehicle. The dealer does not need to file Form 8300 unless the accessories purchase was related to the original vehicle purchase.
  • Taxi company – When lease payments made in cash by a taxi driver to a taxi company within a 12-month period exceed $10,000 in total, the taxi company needs to file Form 8300. Then, if the company receives more than $10,000 cash in additional payments from the driver, the company must file another Form 8300.
  • Landlords – The 12-month period also applies to landlords who need to file Form 8300 once they have received more than $10,000 in cash for a lease during the year. If a person uses a dwelling unit as a home and rents it less than 15 days during the year, its primary function is not considered rental in a trade or business, so they don’t need to report a cash receipt of more than $10,000.
  • Bail-bonding agent – A bail-bonding agent must file Form 8300 when they receive more than $10,000 in cash from a person. This applies to payments from persons who have been arrested or anticipate arrest. The agent needs to file the form even though he hasn’t provided a service when they received the cash.
  • Colleges and universities – Colleges and universities must file Form 8300 if they receive more than $10,000 in cash in one or more transactions within 12 months. A Form 8300 exception applies for government entities but not for educational entities.
  • Contractors – Contractors must file Form 8300 if they receive cash of more than $10,000 for building, renovating, remodeling, landscaping, and painting.

For more information about this article, please contact our tax professionals at or toll free at 844.4WINDES (844.494.6337).
Payments Online TaxCaddy
Secure File Transfer Windes Portal